Seared Sirloin with Escarole
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 1/2 lb Sirloin Steak (about 1 ¼ in thick)
5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Garlic Clove, Smashed and Peeled
2 1/4 cups Dry White Wine
2 ea Sage Sprigs
1 ea Rosemary Sprig
1 ea Bay Leaf
1 ea Lemon
1 ea Head of Escarole (about 1 ½ lbs), Trimmed and roughly chopped
4 ea Flat Anchovy Filets
2 tbsp Parsley, Finely Chopped
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Place steak in a baking dish.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine wine, 2 tbsp oil, sage, rosemary, garlic and bay leaf.
3. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and pour over the steak.
4. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, using a paring knife, cut zest from ½ of the lemon in long wide strips.
6. Thinly slice the strips lengthwise and set aside.
7. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
8. Add escarole and anchovies, cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Season with a generous pinch of salt and remove from heat.
10. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry. Discard marinade.
11. Season steak with salt and pepper.
12. In a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat.
13. Cook steak for 5 minutes per side.
14. Transfer to a plate and let the steak rest for 5 minutes.
15. On a cutting board, thinly slice the steak.
16. Divide steak and escarole among serving plates.
17. Drizzle with juices and garnish with the lemon zest, parsley and pepper.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue