Braised Lamb Shoulder with Peas and Eggs
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 1/2 lbs Lamb Shoulder, Trimmed, Cut into 3inch pieces
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Onion, Thinly Sliced
1 1/3 cup Dry White Wine
3 ea Eggs
1 cup Pecorino Toscano, Finely Grated
3 cups Fresh Peas, Shelled or 1 lb frozen peas, thawed
3 oz Pancetta, Thick-cut, cut into 1/4in cubes
2 tsp Flat-Leaf Parsley, Finely Chopped
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a 5 to 7 quart Dutch oven or heavy pot with a lid, heat oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add the onion and reduce the heat to medium-low, cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, generously season the lamb with salt and pepper all over.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove onion from the pot and transfer to a bowl.
6. Increase heat to high.
7. In 2 to 3 batches, add the lamb a few pieces at a time and brown, 8 to 10 minutes per batch.
8. As pieces brown, transfer to a platter.
9. Discard the fat from the pot.
10. Return heat to medium-high and add 1/3 cup of wine.
11. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes while scraping the bottom of the pan.
12. Return the onions and lamb to the pot.
13. Add the remaining wine.
14. Simmer until wine is reduced by about half, 5 minutes.
15. Tightly cover the pot and braise in the oven for 45 minutes.
16. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the eggs and cheese.
17. Remove pot from the oven; add peas and pancetta, then egg mixture.
18. Tightly cover the pot again and braise for 20 minutes more.
19. Uncover and cook until the edges of the egg crust are lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
20. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, www.lacucinaitalianamag.com March/April 2013 Issue