Bean Paste Canapes
Inactive Time Overnight
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 cup Dried Cannellini Beans
2 tsp Tomato Paste
1/2 tsp Hot Red Pepper Flakes
1 ea Garlic Clove, Peeled
1 tbsp Rosemary Leaves
2 tbsp Sweet Butter
1 cup Homemade Chicken Broth
1 ea Lemon
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
10 ea Italian Parsley Sprigs, Leaves Only, Finely Chopped
16 ea Crusty Italian Bread Pieces, 3x3in, 1in thick
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Soak the beans overnight in a bowl of cold water.
2. The next morning, drain the beans and rinse them under cold running water.
3. Put them in a small saucepan with 4 1/2 cups of water, half of the hot red pepper flakes, the tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Put the pan over medium heat and cook, covered for 2 hours.
5. At that time almost all of the water should be absorbed by the beans.
6. Pass the beans and any remaining liquid through a food mill, using the disc with the medium-sized holes, into a small bowl.
7. Finely chop the garlic, rosemary and remaining hot red pepper flakes together on a board.
8. Heat the broth to lukewarm in a small saucepan.
9. Heat the butter and oil in a second saucepan over medium heat and add the chopped ingredients.
10. Sauté for 2 minutes.
11. Add the bean puree and stir very well.
12. Pour the heated broth into the bean paste, stir very well to incorporate it, and cook for about 10 minutes longer, stirring every so often, until the texture is very thick and smooth.
13. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
14. Put the bread on a baking sheet and heat it in the oven for 3 minutes.
15. Squeeze the lemon and set the juice aside.
16. Remove the bean paste from the heat, add the lemon juice and stir well.
17. To make the canapes, spread 1 heaping tbsp. of the paste on each piece of bread.
18. Arrange the bread on a large serving platter, sprinkle the parsley over them and serve hot.
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY