Baked Eggplant Parmigiana
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 ea Eggplants
1/2 lb Mozzarella Cheese, Cut into small pieces
For the Sauce
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 ea Garlic Cloves, Diced
4 oz Wine
1 ea Onion, Diced
1/2 cup Basil, Chopped
1/2 cup Parsley, Chopped
1 tbsp Dry Oregano
1 ea Can Diced Tomatoes (28 ½ oz)
1 tsp Sugar
Pinch Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium pan.
3. Sauté the onion and garlic until tender.
4. Add remaining sauce ingredients, mix well.
5. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, peel the eggplants and slice them into 1/4inch thick slices.
7. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil.
8. Boil the eggplant for 30 seconds, remove from the water and drain on paper towels.
9. In a 7x11inch baking dish, spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom.
10. Place eggplant slices on the sauce, cutting shapes to fit into flat layers.
11. Arrange the mozzarella over the slices.
12. Top with remaining sauce.
13. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue