Baked Cream Tart
Serves 1 (9in) Tart
Special Equipment: 9inch Springform Pan, Parchment Paper, Pie Weights, Dried Beans.
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Dough
2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tbsp Sugar
10 tbsp Butter, Unsalted, Cold, Cut into small pieces
2 ea Eggs
Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
For the Custard
6 ea Eggs
6 ea Egg Yolks
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Sugar
4 cups Whole Milk
Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. For the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and pinch of salt.
2. Mix in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add 1 egg and stir together with a fork, then knead together until well combined.
4. Form dough into a disk, then wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Grease a 9in springform pan and dust with flour.
6. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to a 15in round.
7. Fir dough into prepared pan.
8. Press into edges and trim any excess if necessary. Use trimmed dough to fill holes and wrap any remaining extra dough in plastic wrap and reserve.
9. Prick bottom of dough in pan with a fork and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
10. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
11. Cut out a 12 in parchment circle and fit over dough.
12. Then cover with pie weights or dried beans.
13. Bake for 10 minutes.
14. Remove crust from oven, remove parchment and weights and then, using reserved dough, patch any cracks.
15. Leughtly beat remaining egg, then brush over crust.
16. Return crust to oven and bake about 8 more minutes.
17. Let pie cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes (leave oven on).
18. For the custard: place tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
19. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar and salt.
20. In a medium saucepan, bring milk, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla just to a boil, remove from heat.
21. In a slow and steady stream, whisking constantly, add about 2 tbsp hot milk mixture to egg mixture.
22. While whisking, slowly add remaining milk mixture, whisk to combine.
23. Transfer custard to tart shell.
24. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 40 minutes.
25. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.
26. Release tart from pan and serve.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue