Baked Cannelloni with Cheese Filling
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
14 oz Wheat Flour
4 ea Eggs
1/2 tsp Salt
8 1/2 oz Ricotta
7 oz Mozzarella
1 1/2 oz Prosciutto
1 1/2 oz Boiled Ham
2 ea Eggs
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
10 1/2 oz Fresh Tomatoes
2 1/2 oz Butter
4 ea Basil Leaves
2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grated
Method of Preparation
1. Mix flour, eggs and salt to make the dough.
2. Let sit for 20 minutes in a warm place.
3. Strain the ricotta in a sieve.
4. Cut mozzarella and ham into thin strips.
5. Slightly beat the eggs and stir into ricotta.
6. Stir the ham and mozzarella into the ricotta and season to taste.
7. Roll out dough on a lightly floured boarded to a knife back thickness.
8. Bring salted water to a boil.
9. Cook squares for 7-8 minutes.
10. Drain pasta and place in a bowl of cold water with a small amount of oil.
11. Boil tomatoes until soft enough to remove skin.
12. Cut the tomatoes into small pieces.
13. Melt the butter, add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
14. Add chopped basil and season with salt and pepper.
15. Butter a heat resistant flat pan and line the bottom with a few spoonful’s of tomato sauce.
16. At one end, spread cannelloni with the cheese filling and roll up, placing the open end of the rolled cannelloni on the bottom of the baking pan.
17. Pour the remaining tomato sauce over top and sprinkle with grated cheese.
18. Bake at 375 degrees f for 12-15 minutes.
The Cheeses of Italy, Ars Vivendi