Baked Butternut Squash and Pecans
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 ea Butternut Squash (2lbs)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsl Butter, Melted
1/4 cup Water
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/3 cup Pecan Pieces
3 tbsp Thyme, Chopped
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Spray a baking dish with nonfat cooking spray, set aside.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the squash, then cut squash in half lengthwise.
4. Scoop out the seeds and cut squash in half cross wise.
5. Cut crosswise into 1/2inch slices.
6. In a large bowl, combine the squash slices, olive oil, brown sugar, vinegar and pecans.
7. Stir well to coat.
8. Arrange the slices in the prepared baking dish.
9. Drizzle with melted butter.
10. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme.
11. Pour 1/4 cup of water in the baking dish.
12. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
13. Remove the foil and back for 10 to 12 minutes more.
14. Remove from the oven and drizzle the pan juices over the squash.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, October 2009 Issue