Asparagus with Oil, Vinegar and Oregano
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/2 lbs Asparagus
1 cup Red Wine Vinegar
3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
Lettuce Leaves, Rinsed and Dried
Pinch of Sugar
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Cut off the lower 2 inches of the asparagus stalks, keeping the uniform in size and discarding the ends.
2. Use a vegetable peeler and peel the lower part of the asparagus.
3. Soak the asparagus in cool, salted water for at least 30 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse again.
5. Stand the cleaned stalks upright in a narrow, deep vessel and adding boiling water up to the flower end.
6. The tips will cook by steaming.
7. Cook for 10 minutes.
8. Drain and cool the asparagus.
9. Arrange the lettuce leaves on salad plates and place a few asparagus on top.
10. Combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper in a bowl.
11. Whisk well to blend together.
12. Spoon over asparagus and lettuce.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue