Artichokes and Beets with Crescenza Fondue
All ingredients are available in the market!
2 ea Yellow Beets (3/4lb), Peeled and cut into 1in cubes
12 ea Baby Artichokes
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1/8 tsp Saffron Threads, Crumbled
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus more for drizzling
1 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
3/4 cup Whole Milk
6 oz Crescenza Cheese
1/8 tsp Salt
Method of Preparation
1. Combine 1 tbsp water with saffron in a small bowl, set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3. Add beets to boiling water and cook until tender, 20 minutes.
4. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
5. When the beets are tender, drain and set them aside.
6. Drain and pat dry artichokes.
7. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
8. Add artichokes and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
9. Add broth and gently simmer for 12-15 minutes, until artichokes are tender.
10. Add saffron mixture and cook 1 minute more.
11. Drain artichokes, discarding cooking liquid.
12. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cheese and salt over low heat.
13. Gently warm the mixture, continuously whisking until smooth, about 10 minutes.
14. Divide sauce among four serving bowls.
15. Top with beets and artichokes.
16. Drizzle with olive oil and serve warm.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012