Artichoke Stuffed Pizza with Bitter Greens
2 Hours 45 Minutes
Serves 4 8in Pizzas
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Dough-
3 1/2 cups “00” Flour or Unbleached All-Purpose Flour plus more for Dusting
1 3/4 tsp Sugar
1 3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 3/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, For Bowl
For the Filling and Topping-
1 1/2 lbs Watercress, Chard and/or Chicory, Tough Stems Discarded, Roughly Chopped
1 cup Jarred Artichokes, Drained and Thinly Sliced
1 ea Garlic Clove, Gently Smashed and Peeled
2/3 cup Geata Olives, Pitted
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus more for Drizzling
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 tsp Thyme Leaves
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
- For the dough- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over 1 1/4 cups warm water.
- Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- Add to the yeast mixture.
- Mix on low speed for 4 minutes.
- Let the dough rest, covered with a damp towel, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the towel and knead on medium-low speed for 2 minutes more.
- If the dough is too soft and sticky to hold its shape, mix in more flour by the tbsp. full.
- If the dough is too stiff and dry, mix in more water by the tbsp. full.
- Lightly oil a large bowl.
- Form dough into a ball, transfer to the bowl and turn lightly to coat with oil.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes.
- Dough should double in size.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces.
- Shape the pieces into balls and place on a lightly floured work surface.
- Loosely cover with a damp dishtowel and let rise at room temperature until they have doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Heat a pizza stone in the lower third of the oven for 45 minutes at 500 degrees F.
- While the stone is heating, prepare the topping.
- For the topping- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add greens, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tbsp water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are wilted about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove and discard the garlic.
- To assemble the pizza- On a lightly floured work surface, press 1 dough ball with your fingers to begin to shape into a round.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out dough to an 8inch round.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured peel.
- Shake the peel to make sure the dough will not stick.
- Working quickly, shape a second dough ball into an 8inch round.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the artichoke slices over the dough, leaving a 1/2inch border.
- Drizzle lightly with oil and sprinkle with 2 tbsp cheese and a pinch of thyme.
- Top with the second dough round.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Slide the pizza onto the stone.
- Bake for 7 minutes, the edges should be golden and the pizza puffed.
- Remove from the oven and top with 1/4 each of the greens and olives.
- Serve hot!
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue