Artichoke, Prosciutto and Parsley Pasta
Serves 4 – 6
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market
6 ea Baby Artichokes
1 ea Shallot, Finely Chopped
1/3 lb Thinly Sliced Prosciutto
1 cup Flat-Leaf Parsley
1 ea Lemon, Juiced
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb Pasta of your choice
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
2. Drain and pat dry artichokes.
3. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
4. Add shallot and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add artichokes and 1/4 tsp salt, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
7. Meanwhile, in a food processor bowl, combine prosciutto, parsley and 1/4 tsp salt.
8. Pulse until very finely chopped.
9. Cook pasta in the boil water until all dente.
10. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
11. Add prosciutto and artichoke mixtures, toss to combine and serve immediately.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, www.lacucinaitalianamag.com March/April 2013 Issue