Artichoke, Arugula and Walnut Salad
All ingredients are available in the market!
12 ea Baby Artichokes
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 ea Orange
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 cups Arugula
1/3 cup Walnuts, Roughly Chopped
Salt and Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
2. Zest enough of the orange peel to make 1/2 tsp and place in a large bowl.
3. Using a sharp paring knife, cut peel and white pith from oranges, then cut each section of fruit away from membrane, cutting as close to membrane as possible.
4. Cut sections in half crosswise and set aside.
5. Squeeze enough juice from membrane to make 1/4 cup; add to bowl with zest.
6. To orange juice mixture, add oil, 1/4 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper.
7. Whisk together.
8. Drain and pat dry artichokes, add to bowl with dressing and toss to combine.
9. Let stand for 10 minutes.
10. Add orange sections, arugula and walnuts.
11. Gently toss to combine.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012