Artichoke and Veal Gratin
All ingredients are available in the market!
4 ea Large Artichokes
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 1/4 lb Ground Veal
1 ea Onion, Chopped Fined
3 1/4 cup Vegetable Broth
2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
2 1/2 tbsp Unbleached All Purpose Flour
Method of Preparation
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add veal and cook until meat is browned, 5 minutes.
3. Add onion, 1/4 tsp salt and a generous pinch of pepper.
4. Reduce heat to medium and cook until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Stir in 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth.
6. Gently simmer until broth is reduced by 1/4 cup, about 45 minutes.
7. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
8. Drain and pat dry artichokes, then add to saucepan with veal.
9. Cover and simmer until artichokes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
10. Transfer mixture to a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
11. Heat oven to a broil.
12. In a medium saucepan, bring remaining 2 cups broth just to a boil then remove from heat.
13. In a large saucepan, heat butter over low heat until melted, then add flour.
14. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
15. Whisk in hot broth and a pinch of salt, increase heat to medium-high and cook until sauce thickens. About 1 minute.
16. Pour sauce over artichoke mixture, stirring gently to incorporate.
17. Broil gratin until top is lightly browned. 3 to 4 minutes.
18. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.