Artichoke and Tuna Skewers with Salsa Verde
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Salsa Verde
2 ea Slices of White Sandwich Bread, Crusts removed and discarded, Bread torn into pieces
1 1/2 tsp White Wine Vinegar
3 ea Flat Anchovy Fillets
3 cups Flat-Leaf Parsley, Roughly Chopped
1 tbsp Capers
1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Skewers
6 ea Baby Artichokes
3/4 lb Tuna Steak, cut into 24 (1in) cubes
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Lemon, Juiced
Fine Sea Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. For the Salsa Verde- In a large bowl, soak bread in vinegar to absorb liquid for 2 minutes.
2. Transfer bread to the bowl of a food processor, add parsley, anchovies, capers and salt.
3. With the machine running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until smooth.
4. For the Skewers- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
6. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
7. Add artichokes to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Drain and pat try.
9. Thread tuna and artichokes onto 12 skewers, arrange on a baking sheet.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, www.lacucinaitalianamag.com March/April 2013 Issue