Apple Bread Pudding with Raisins and Pine Nuts
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 ea Granny Smith Apples
3 tbsp Butter, Softened
1/2 cup Dry White Wine
1/2 cup Light Rum, Divided
1/3 cup Raisins
1/3 cup Pine Nuts
1 cup Sugar, Divided
Zest of 1 Lemon
5 oz White Sandwich Bread, Sliced, Crust Removed
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, soak the raising in hot water for 10 minutes.
3. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
4. Peel and core the apples and cut them into 1/4inch thick slices.
5. Place the apple slices in a skillet.
6. Add 1/2 a cup of sugar, the lemon zest, wine and enough water to cover.
7. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Pour off any remaining liquid and place the apples on a towel to dry.
9. In a bowl, combine the remaining sugar with the butter.
10. Use some of this butter mixture to coat the bottom of an 8inch cake pan.
11. Begin filling the pan in layers, alternating slices of bread, apple, raising, pine nuts and a few tsp of the butter mixture.
12. When the ingredients are used up, sprinkle with half of the rum.
13. Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
14. Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil.
15. Return to the oven for 20 minutes more.
16. Remove from the oven and flip on a large serving platter.
17. Drizzle with the remaining rum.
Italian Cooking and Living Magazine, February 3, 2014 Issue