Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 tbsp Dried Apricots, Diced
1 cup Amaretti Cookies, Finely Crushed
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Orange Zest
2 ea Egg Whites
2 cups Whipping Cream
Pinch of Salt
Slivered, Toasted Almonds for Garnish
6 to 8 Ramekins or Glass Goblets
Method of Preparation
1. Place elective beaters and bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Remove and combine whipping cream, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and orange zest in the bowl.
3. Whip with electric beaters until peaks form.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt with clean beaters until frothy.
5. Increase speed and beat until soft peaks form.
6. Gently fold the egg mixture into the cream and add the apricots.
7. Spoon 1 tbsp of crushed amaretti cookies into each ramekin or goblet.
8. Divide the cream among the dishes and top each with a second tbsp. of crushed cookies and almonds.
9. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours.
10. Remove from the freeze 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue