4 hours Inactive
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 cup Lemon Juice
1 cup Milk
4 ea Eggs, Room Temperature
3/4 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Lemon Zest, Grated
6 tbsp Almond, Toasted, Chopped
6 ea Amaretti Cookies, Crushed
3 ea Additional Amaretti Cookies, Crushed, For Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Combine eggs, sugar and milk in the top of a double broiler.
2. Beat over boiling water until the mixture turns pale yellow and thickens slightly.
3. Remove and set aside.
4. Quickly fill a bowl with ice cubes and cold water and place the pan with the egg mixture in it.
5. Add lemon juice and zest.
6. Beat for 1 minute more.
7. Leave pan in ice water until completely cooled.
8. Line a 9x5x3inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, make sure it hangs over the edges 3inches on all sides.
9. Pour the cooled mixture into the loaf pan.
10. Wrap and place in the freezer for 4 hours to overnight.
11. Remove when ready to serve.
12. Either scoop out of the pan to serve or slice with a knife.
13. Serve topped with the additional Amaretti cookies and toasted almonds.
14. Also delicious with fresh fruit or jam on top.
15. Serve immediately as this will melt quickly.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, August 2011 Issue www.tastesofitalia.com