Umbrian Bread Salad
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 ea Tomatoes
1 ea Cucumber, Peeled, Sliced Thin
10 ea Basil Leaves, Plus more for garnish
1 ea Red Onion, Peeled
2 tbsp Capers, In wine vinegar, Drained
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 1/2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 lb Crusty Italian Bread, Several days old
Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. Soak the onion, tomatoes, celery, cucumber, 10 of the basil leaves and the bread in a bowl of cold water for a 1/2 hour.
2. Squeeze the water from the bread and put the bread in a plastic container.
3. Dice the onion and put in on top of the bread.
4. Cut each celery stalk lengthwise into three strips, then cut the strips into 1in pieces.
5. Sprinkle the celery pieces over the onion.
6. Cut the cucumber into slices of less than 1/2in thick and place them over the celery.
7. Cut the tomatoes into 1/2in squares.
8. Then tear the soaked basil leaves, add them, the capers and the tomatoes.
9. Close the plastic container and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours before serving.
10. Transfer the contents of the container to a large bowl.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
12. Add the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
13. Toss very well and serve with the remaining basil leaves for garnish
Giuliano Bugialli’s Foods of ITALY