Tagliatelle with Fava Beans and Sausage
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Egg Tagliatelle
1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage, Casing Removed
2 cups Fresh Fava Beans, Shelled (2 to 2 1/2lbs in pods)
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus extra for Drizzling
1/3 cup Dry White Wine
1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
Parmigiano-Reggiano, For Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add beans and cook for 1 minute.
3. Immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking (reserve cooking liquid and keep at a boil.).
4. Drain the beans, gently peel and discard the skins.
5. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
6. Add the sausage and 1/2 tsp of the thyme.
7. Cook, breaking up the sausage, for 4 minutes.
8. Add the wine and beans.
9. Increase the heat to high and cook for 4 minutes more, most of the liquid should evaporate.
10. Remove from the heat.
11. Cook the pasta in the reserved boiling water until al dente.
12. Reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water, drain and transfer the pasta to a serving bowl.
13. Toss with the sausage mixture, reserved pasta cooking liquid, a generous drizzle of oil and the remaining 1/2 tsp of thyme.
14. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue