Stuffed Artichokes with Capers and Anchovies
All ingredients are available in the market!
4 ea Artichokes
2 tbsp Salted Capers, Rinsed, Chopped
3 ea Flat Anchovy Filets, Chopped
1/2 cup Plain Breadcrumbs
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
5 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, capers and anchovies; set aside.
4. To prepare the Artichokes- Fill a large bowl halfway with water, ice cubes and lemon juice. Peel stems, cut off 1/2in of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. Bend outer leaves backward until they snap off close to the base, then discard leaves. Continue with several more layers of leaves in the same manner until you reach pale yellow leaves with pale green tips. Cut off the green tips. Trim dark green fibrous parts from base and side of the artichoke with a small sharp knife, then cut in half lengthwise and submerge into the lemon, ice water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
5. Drain artichoke tops and stems and place them in the boiling water.
6. Cook for 3 minutes then transfer stems to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
7. Continue cooking tops for 2 minutes more. Then drain.
8. Place artichoke tops in an 8×8 baking dish.
9. Finely chop stems and add to breadcrumb mixture.
10. Add 3 tbsp of oil and stir to combine.
11. Stuff artichoke tops with breadcrumb mixture.
12. Drizzle with remaining 2 tbsp of oil.
13. Bake until browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
14. Serve warm.
www.lacucinaitalianamag.com La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue