Savory Ricotta and Prosciutto Fritters
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 cup Prosciutto (1/8in diced)
3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
4 ea Eggs
1 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 cups Canola Oil, For frying
Poppy Seeds, For sprinkling
Pinch of Grated Nutmeg
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. In a bowl, whisk together cheese, prosciutto and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup water, butter and ¼ tsp salt.
3. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to medium.
4. Add flour and stir constantly until all flour is incorporated and dough forms a ball, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Transfer dough to bowl of an electric mixer fitter with a paddle attachment and let cool for 3 to 4 minutes.
6. With mixer on lowest speed, add eggs, 1 at a time.
7. Continue mixing until dough is smooth.
8. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
9. In batches, fry scant walnut-sized spoonful’s of batter in the oil, turning with a slotted spoon, until puffed and golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
10. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fritters to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
11. Let cool slighty.
12. Crack open fritters, fill each with about 1 tbsp of the cheese mixture.
13. Sprinkle with seeds and serve warm.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, November 2013 Issue