Praline Mousse Cake
8 Hours Inactive
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/4 cups Sugar
2 tbsp Coffee
1/2 lb Butter
6 ea Eggs, Separated
1/2 lb Almonds, Ground
1/2 lb Bittersweet Chocolate
2 tbsp Cognac
Butter for Baking
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream the butter and the sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed.
3. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, until all are incorporated.
4. Fold in the ground almonds.
5. Melt the chocolate with the coffee in the top of a double broiler.
6. Cool it slightly and then fold into the mixture.
7. Add the cognac and gently fold in.
8. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
9. Fold them into the chocolate mixture until well blended.
10. Liberally butter an 8 or 9 inch spring form pan.
11. Put 1/2 of the chocolate mixture into it and bake for a 1/2 hour. Let this cool.
12. Add the other half of the chocolate mixture over the cooled, cooked cake.
13. Cover with plastic or foil and refrigerate overnight.
14. Remove spring form pan before serving.
15. Sift cocoa or powdered sugar over top before serving.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue