Pine Nut and Almond Meringue Cookies
Serves 24 Cookies
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 cups Almond Slivers
1/2 cup Pine Nuts, Plus extra for topping
1 1/2 cups Sugar, Divided 3/4 and 3/4 cups
1/2 cup Confectioner’s Sugar, Plus extra for topping
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/2 tsp Almond Extract
1 tsp Orange Zest, Finely Grated
3 ea Egg Whites, Room Temperature
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Put nuts in the bowl of a large food processor and process until finely ground.
3. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
4. Add 3/4 cup sugar, confectioner’s sugar and the orange zest to the bowl. Mix well.
5. In an electric mixer, whip the egg whites.
6. When the egg whites are frothy, add the cream of tartar.
7. When they have tripled in volume, add the ¾ cup of sugar, a tbsp at a time.
8. When the whites are stiff and shiny, add the almond extract.
9. Transfer to the bowl of dry ingredients and fold in the whipped egg whites.
10. Combine slowly and thoroughly.
11. Fit parchment papers into 12 baking trays.
12. Place 1 tsp sized balls onto parchment paper, with 1 1/2inches between each.
13. Flatten each ball.
14. Top with extra pine nuts.
15. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
16. Let cool before removing them from the parchment paper and dust with confectioner’s sugar.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, December 2010 Issue