Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Ground Beef Chuck (20% fat)
2 ea Large Onions, Thinly Sliced plus 1/4 cup Onion, Finely Chopped
1 tbsp Ketchup
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil, Divided
8 ea Thin Slices Seeded Rye Bread
4 oz Aged Sharp Cheddar, Sliced Thin into 4 pieces
4oz Swiss Cheese, Sliced Thin into 4 pieces
8 tsp Mayonnaise, Divided
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method of Preparation
1. For the caramelized onions- heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
2. Cook the thinly sliced onions, stirring often and adding water as needed to prevent burning, for 20-25 minutes.
3. Set aside.
4. For the patties- gently mix the chopped onion, ground chuck, ketchup, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
5. Divide into 4 portions and press between 2 pieces of parchment or wax paper until 1/4inch thick.
6. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Working in two batches; cook the patties, pressing gently, for 2 minutes per side.
8. Transfer to a plate.
9. Wipe out the skillet and reduce the heat to medium.
10. To assemble the sandwiches- top 4 of the slices of rye bread each with a slice of the cheddar cheese, a patty, caramelized onions, a slice of the Swiss cheese and another slice of rye bread.
11. Spread 1 tsp mayonnaise onto the top of each sandwich.
12. Cook, mayo side down and weighted with a foil-covered heavy pan, for 3 minutes.
13. Remove the heavy pan.
14. Spread 1 tsp of mayo onto the top of each sandwich and flip.
15. Add the heavy pan back and cook for 3 minutes more.
16. Serve warm and enjoy!
Bon Appetit Magazine, October 2014 Issue www.bonappetit.com