Padova Pumpkin Fritters
Serves 36 Fritters
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1 lb Fresh Pumpkin, Skin and Seeds Removed
2 ea Eggs, Beaten
1 tbsp Sugar
4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/8 tsp Nutmeg, Freshly Ground
1/8 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 oz Fresh Yeast, Mixed in 2 tbsp of Warm Water
Juice from 3 fresh Oranges
Canola or Peanut Oil for Frying
Confectioner’s Sugar for Garnish
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat to 200 degrees F.
2. Cut the pumpkin cubes into cubes, place it on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
3. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the over and squash with a potato masher.
5. Drain all the water from the mashed pumpkin by pressing it in a colander.
6. Be sure that the pumpkin is as dry as possible.
7. Place it in a mixing bowl.
8. Add the eggs, juice from the oranges, sugar, flour, nutmeg, sea salt and dissolved yeast.
9. Mix until you have a smooth mixture.
10. Put the dough in a warm place to rise for about 2 hours.
11. When the dough has risen, heat the canola or peanut oil in a large deep fry pan.
12. Test a small drop of batter, if it floats, the oil is ready.
13. Fry the dough in small rounds until they float to the top and are golden brown all over.
14. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on paper towels.
15. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve piled high on a plate.
16. Serve immediately.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue