Oxtail Salad with Potatoes and Peas
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
2 1/4 lbs Meaty Oxtail Pieces, Trimmed of Excess Fat
1 1/2 cups Peas, Shelled (From 2lbs peas in pods) or Frozen Peas, Not Thawed
3/4 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes, Peeled and Cut into 1/2 inch Cubes
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 quarts Beef Broth
1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
Fine Sea Salt
Method of Preparation
1. In a large heavy pot, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.
2. Working in batches, add oxtails and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes per batch.
3. Transfer the oxtails to a bowl after each batch.
4. Return oxtails to pot.
5. Add broth and enough water to cover the oxtails by 1/2inch.
6. Bring the liquid to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and gently simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours, until oxtails are tender.
8. Add more water as necessary to keep the oxtails just covered.
9. Drain the oxtails and transfer to a plate.
10. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from and discard the bones.
11. Season the meat with salt to taste.
12. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
13. Add the peas and cook for 4 minutes.
14. Remove using a slotted spoon.
15. Add the potatoes to the pea cooking water and cook for 6 minutes.
16. Drain and let cool.
17. In a large, nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
18. Add the potatoes.
19. Cook, without stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
20. Toss with 1/4 tsp salt and continue cooking, stirring occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes more.
21. Add the remaining 2 tbsp oil, meat, peas, vinegar and salt to taste.
22. Serve immediately.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, May/June 2013 Issue