Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
3 tbsp Butter
4 cups Onion, Sliced
4 ea Eggs
1 ea Green Bell Pepper, Cored, Seeded and cut into strips lengthwise
1 cup Half and Half or Light Cream
Pinch of Freshly Grated Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Method of Preparation
1. Spread the butter over a shallow baking pan (jelly-roll pan) and spread the onions over top.
2. Arrange the pepper strips to one side.
3. Put under the broiler until the onions begin to take on color and soften.
4. Remove from the oven and set the pepper strips aside.
5. Transfer the onions to a food processor and puree.
6. Allow to cool.
7. Combine the eggs, light cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper in ab owl and whisk until well combined.
8. Add the cooled onions and adjust the seasoning.
9. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
10. Fill a measuring cup with a spout with the onion-egg mixture and pour into 8 well buttered custard cups.
11. Repeat to fill all custard cups.
12. Put the filled containers in a baking container snuggly.
13. Add hot water to half the height of the custard cups.
14. Bake for 40 minutes.
15. Test by inserting a sharp knife or toothpick into the onion mixture, it should come out clean.
16. Remove the cups from the hot water and let sit for 4 to 5 minutes.
17. Decorate with 2 strips of grilled green peppers by making a cross on the top of the cups.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, April 2010 Issue