Lasagna with Sausage and Mushrooms
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
For the Sauce-
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 lb Italian Pork Sausage, Diced
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1/8 tsp Chile Flakes
4 ea Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 ea 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 ea 16oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 ea 8oz can Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup Red Wine
1 lb Mushrooms, Sliced
For the Cheese Filling-
1 ea 15oz Container Ricotta Cheese
1 cup Freshly Grated Romano Cheese
4 ea Garlic Cloves, Diced
1/8 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/4 cup Italian Parsley
Needed to Assemble-
1 lb Lasagna, Cooked according to package instructions
3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
1/2 cup Romano Cheese, Grated
1/4 cup Italian Parsley, Coarsely Chopped
Method of Preparation
1. To make the sauce- heat the oil and add the sausage in a large skillet.
2. Cook until brown.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Remove half of the sauce, let cool, then puree in a blender or food processor.
6. Add back into the skillet and cook on medium for 30 minutes more.
7. To make the cheese filling- mix all of the ingredients listed under “for the cheese filling” above.
8. To assemble the lasagna- preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Lightly grease a 9x15inch backing dish.
10. In the baking dish first place 1 cup of sauce.
11. Next add 1 layer of lasagna noodles.
12. Followed by 1 layer of cheese filling.
13. 1 layer of sauce.
14. 1 layer of cheese filling.
15. 1 layer of lasagna.
16. 1 layer of sauce.
17. Top with the mozzarella, Romano and parsley.
18. Cover with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
19. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Tastes of Italia Magazine, February 2016 Issue