Green Risotto with Beef Tenderloin and Squash
Most ingredients are available in Antonio’s Market!
1/2 lb Chicory or Frisee, Trimmed (Bitter greens)
6 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 ea Zucchini, Diced
2 cups Vegetable Broth
1 ea Small Onion, Chopped
1 1/2 cups Carnaroli Rice
1/4 cup Dry White Wine
3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
1/2 of a small Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded and cut into 1in cubes
3/4 lb Beed Tenderloin, Cut into 1in cubes
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grated
Method of Preparation
1. In a medium sauce pan of boiling, salted water, cook chicory for 5 minutes, then drain, squeeze out excess water and finely chop.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add zucchini, chicory and a pinch of salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Combine broth and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan, heat to a simmer, then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
6. In a second medium saucepan, heat 3 tbsp oil over medium heat, add the onion, reduce to medium-low and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Add rice, cook, stirring for 1 minute.
8. Mix in chicory mixture and wine.
9. Cook, stirring until liquid is mostly absorbed.
10. Add 1/2 cup broth, cook, stirring until absorbed.
11. Continue adding broth in 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing each cup to mostly absorb before adding the next, until rice is tender yet still slightly firm to the bite.
12. While rice is cooking, in a large skillet with lid, heat 1 tbsp butter and 1/2 tbsp oil over medium heat until butter is melted.
13. Add squash and a generous pinch of salt.
14. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
15. Transfer squash to a plate.
16. In a bowl, toss together beef and paprika, season with salt.
17. Add remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
18. Add beef and cook, turning pieces once, until medium-rare, about 2 minutes.
19. Transfer beef to a plate.
20. When risotto is ready, stir in cheese and remaining 2 tbsp of butter.
21. Adjust seasoning to taste.
22. Divide risotto among shallow serving bowls, top with squash, beef and extra cheese.
23. Serve immediately.
La Cucina Italiana Magazine, April 2012 Issue